Ovie's amazing goal

Ovie's amazing goal

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Capitals Convention

Unfortuantely I have a good 90 plus minute drive to DC so i was a tad late to the convention. I arrived around 1015-1030 and liked what I initially saw. I wasn't able to go last year (attended a wedding) but went to the first convention and I did notice some differences. There were only two downsides that I saw to yesterday, one was the alumni were done signing and all but gone before noon, the first convention they were signing most of the day to my recollection. Secondly, aside from Ovechkin and Holtby playing hockey with the kids, I saw zero player interaction with fans. Troy Brouwer slapped a high five to a fan or two waiting in line for the next autograph session but that was about it. Someone approached Joel Ward and he said he wasn't allowed to sign. I understand we purchase the tickets and are to get two autographs, I am not complaining about that. Just suggesting maybe something like have Ovie or Semin play vs some fans at random with the accuracy game or Carlson and Green at the fastest shot. Just something small, hopefully this trickles back to someone about it.

I did enjoy the one panel that  I watched, Capology III. Don Fishman was very insightful and answered all questions thoroughly. It really put in to perspective the hockey cap system and how the caps are able to sign the likes of Ward, Brouwer, Hamrlik and Vokoun and extend Alzner and still have money for Semin, Backstrom and Ovechkin's big contracts. I won't get to deep into it as I took notes and will write another blog on Capology later in the day.

I will say, I can see why George McPhee went out and traded a first round pick for Troy Brouwer. He is a big guy, looks (as Chimera does) like someone you don't want to deal with. Joel Ward is another guy, he just looks like an intimidating force sitting up at the table next to Ovechkin during autographs. Granted the preseason games haven't been on TV at all and I haven't been able to watch, I will say they fit the profile the Caps have been missing.

Hearing the interview of the 24/7 crew was quite enjoyable. The looks on Ovechkin and Boudreau's faces during the scenes were priceless. I especially liked when Bruce stated that he had no friends in the Penguins organization. It was also interesting to hear how the players and coaches reacted to the cameras in their face for that month. Now can I ask, why in the hell are they not making this into a DVD? I am sure it would be a best seller, especially since there is no other 24/7 like the hockey one. PLEASE HBO MAKE THIS A DVD!!!!!

The Capitals convention was great, some slow moments but overall its nothing like any other team in the DC area does. The fans get to see their favorite players and coaches and it gets you ready for hockey season. We are 13 days away from the opening game at home vs Carolina and I believe the Caps fans finally have that itch of we are almost there and ready to rock the red.

No comments:

Post a Comment